Friday, March 28, 2008

A Long Way to Go

Image Courtesy of Zaptel

I have always enjoyed a good mystery. However, through starting this blog and, for the first time, actively researching the genre, I'm realizing I hardly know anything at all!

I have seen probably every episode of Murder She Wrote and Law & Order (if you count that as a mystery). I've also read most of the Ellery Queen books and the Alfred Hitchcock collections. My grandmother has saved a large amount of old mysteries, some out of print, that I've read dutifully over the years (partly for the mystery, but also because I sort of love the scent of the musty 1940s books that have been collecting dust in my Grama's basement.) I'm also pretty good at Clue, even the Simpson's version.

However, I'm quickly realizing that barely scratches the surface. Additionally, while I am a published writer and feel I can impart valuable advice and knowledge on both the creative and business aspects of writing, I have never published a mystery story.

You may be asking yourself, how did I get here, and why am I reading this clueless girl's blog! Well, I don't know, but I'm glad you stopped by!

More seriously, this realization has been both a little intimidating and a little exciting. Yes, it seems I have a lot to learn, but sharing what I discover and how I solve some of the amateur problems in writing a mystery may be more beneficial and interesting than those so called "published" mystery writers' blogs. At least that's what I'm going to tell myself, and you dear reader, until I accomplish my next goal: publishing a short mystery.

No comments: