Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mystery Theater

We have a mystery theater in this area! The Mystery Dinner Playhouse, which has a few locations in Virginia, puts on shows at the Doubletree Hotel in Crystal City.


A while ago, I dragged my skeptical boyfriend to a show called “Murder in the Court.” The performance, which was more comedic than suspenseful, took place in 10-15 minute scripted acts between courses. In between the acts, the cast members served food while still in character and the audience was encouraged to try to illicit more clues by bribing the characters with fake money. I also liked how, during the show, they interacted with the audience and even pulled people out to play minor characters. (My boyfriend got to take the stand!)

Toward the end of the show, we wrote who we thought was the murderer and why. (I can’t remember if I was right or not…really). After the murderer was revealed, the most humorous answers were read out loud.

The only downside, at least for the performance I saw, was that the mystery was pretty simple and not as clever as I would have liked. Still I really enjoyed in and plan to go back sometime soon. They’re currently showing a spoof on westerns called, “Murder Rides Again.” Where, in “Murder in the Court” the audience serves as court witnesses, in “Murder Rides Again,” the audience serves as town members in a saloon.

No comments: